I lost my crafting mojo there for a bit, and spent the majority of my downtime in the last few weeks playing Tsum Tsum on my phone instead of making cards. I happened to check out the Lawnscaping blog last week and quickly came up with a card idea for their current challenge:
I knew I wanted to create a custom sentiment for this challenge and although I was hoping I could piece together words from the Lawn Fawn sets I already own, I knew I could always fall back on Milo’s ABCs…which is exactly what happened!
First, I die cut a focal panel from Core’dinations 110 lb white cardstock using the largest Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Rectangles Stackable die. I then used the largest SSS Stitched Oval die to cut out the center of the rectangle panel, and also cut out 3 additional large ovals.
Using mini blending tools, I blended my favorite blue and blue-green distress inks onto each of the four ovals. I lightly misted each oval with water from my Mini Mister, let the water sit for 10 to 15 seconds, then blotted each piece with a dry paper towel. When the ovals were dry, I used the largest Stitched Scalloped Borders die to create the waves (I used the dies upside-down and discarded the pieces with the scalloped border.)
I stamped the custom sentiment onto scrap pieces of navy cardstock using Versamark ink then heat embossed it with Ranger Silver embossing powder. I cut one end of each sentiment strip into a banner/flag shape.
I stamped all of the images onto Neenah Solar White cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I tried my hand at the mirror stamping technique using my MISTI, but didn’t get the best impression. I ended up going over the entire mirror image outline with a Memento Tuxedo Black marker, but I think it turned out okay in the end. I colored all of the images with COPIC Sketch markers (individual colors used are listed below) then cut them out with their coordinating dies, except for the mirror image otter, which I fussy cut. I also added some shimmer (via the Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen) to the balloon, cupcake frosting, and the present.
To assemble my card, I added foam tape to the back of the stitched rectangle panel and adhered it directly to my A2 top-folded card base. I then inlaid the ovals and adhered those to the panel with Tombow Mono Multi glue. I tucked the otters behind the waves, then secured them with my ZIG 2-Way Glue Pen. (I also used the Zig glue pen to adhere the party accessories and the sentiment strips.) *note: I did have to perform card surgery twice on this project, and learned that the ZIG glue pen is so much more forgiving when it comes to repositioning things vs. the Tombow Mono Multi glue!
I am also submitting this card to the current Simon Says Stamp Flickr Challenge (Cut It Out!).
Thanks for stopping by!!
Other supplies: Core’dinations 110 lb white cardstock, Recollections 65 lb Cape Cod cardstock pack, COPIC Sketch markers (Otters: W1, W3, W5, R20; Cupcake: R00, E000, BG11, BG13; Balloon: RV10, RV21; Gift: BG11, BG13)